Sunday, January 5, 2014

Step by step tutorial for making a decorative object - Step 3. Preparing textures

The texture on ts3 objects is defined mainly from Overlay, Mask, Multiplier and Specular.


They are in dds format.  But you don't have to install a graphic software that can handle dds for now.  I used png pictures for this tutorial.
I already describe about these textures in my tutorial for making wall.  Some descriptions here are redundant.


Overlay is not used in this tutorial. You have to make your Mask, Multiplier and Specular, and then replace them with EA's textures.  I used GIMP2.6 for making textures.  All images are 512 px x 512 px and in png format.


3.1  Mask

The Mask defines the area(s) which is / are recolorable in Create-A-Style. Red (R, 255; G, 0; B, 0), Green (R, 0; G, 255; B, 0) and Blue (R, 0; G, 0; B, 255) areas correspond to the first, second and third patterns in C-A-S mode, respectively.


Using the UV map for determining the positions of each segments,  paint red, green and blue colors over the areas where you want to apply each pattern channels to.



I made the above image as Mask.  When applying this mask onto the mesh,


the cup & saucer looks like this.  




3.2 Multiplier

The Multiplier is a gray scale image. It adds shading on the appearance of patterns.
You can use monotone gray image for this, but the object with monotone multiplier will look 'flat' in game.   A good multiplier adds reality on your object.

I suppose many ts3 CC creators use baking in Blender.  The multipliers made with baking generally looks great, like professional work.  But it has some disadvantages such as limitations on UV-mapping way.  And I prefer 'hand-made' multipliers.  In some cases, baked textures look a bit artificial.  I love the natural- or organic-looking furniture.


I made this image as multiplier for the cup&saucer.



I usually make monotone gray layer (RGB = 141, 141, 141) first, and then add shades over it using dropshadow filter of GIMP.  For how to use dropshadow filter, please see this tutorial by MisticRain@BPS.


After this, I add some details such as wrinkles or grungy textures manually if I think it's proper.



3.3 Specular

The Specular is a gray scale image too. It defines shining or reflective areas of the wall.

An easy way to make specular image is making a copy of your multiplier, and increasing contrast and / or brightness of the image.


I made this image for specular.




Now we're ready to move on next step.  Will use TSRWS finally.



  



No comments:

Post a Comment